Phone: (225) 925-6146

New Licenses

Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP)

All applicants must apply to the Office of Motor Vehicles for a class E Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP) prior to participation in the knowledge test, operation of a motor vehicle during on-road driving skills instruction, or participation in the on-road driving skills test. The TIP may be issued to any individual that is at least 14 years of age. The TIP allows a driver education student to operate a motor vehicle when accompanied by a driver education instructor and when completing behind the wheel instruction or during the administration of a skills test. Applicants shall meet all other Office of Motor Vehicles identification requirements. This requirement does not apply to applicants enrolled in a National Guard Youth Challenge Program. Any student enrolled in a driver education, driver training program, or a pre-licensing training course prior to September 4, 2018 is exempt from this requirement.

Documents Required for Issuance of a Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP)

  • Proof of identification
  • Proof of residency
  • Verification of your Social Security Number
    • Acceptable verification includes your Social Security card, W2 form, or a print out from the Social Security Administration verifying the number. If you do not have a Social Security Number, a letter from the Social Security Administration must be presented. The number may also be given verbally.
  • You must also present one additional form of identification such as a photo work ID, high school diploma, insurance card, etc.

Additional Requirements for Applicants Seventeen and Under

  • The signature of the custodial parent or legal guardian is required for the issuance of any license (including first time applications, duplicates and changing restrictions).
  • Documentation must be presented to prove custody or legal guardianship.
  • Identification must be presented by the minor and the parent or guardian.
  • Only the domiciliary parent may sign if joint custody has been awarded.


Learner's Permit

You must possess a temporary instructional permit and complete all required testing before becoming eligible for issuance of a learner’s permit. 

You must be at least fifteen before a learner’s permit can be issued.

A learner’s permit must be held for a minimum of 180 days, unless the applicant is 17 years of age or older.

The required knowledge and skills tests are administered by the driver education provider. An 80% is the minimum passing score for the knowledge test. If the applicant does not have a good understanding of the written English language they may bring a translator to assist with any class knowledge (written) tests except CDL.

A vision test will be administered prior to the issuance of a learner’s permit. You must have 20/40 vision in one or both eyes to pass.

Full License

You must be at least 17 years of age and you must pass the vision, knowledge (written) test and road skills test to be issued a full license. If the applicant does not have a good understanding of the written English language they may bring a translator to assist with any class knowledge tests except CDL.

All male applicants between the ages of 15 and 26 who are U.S. citizens will automatically be registered with the U.S. Selective Service System upon issuance of any credential by the LA Office of Motor Vehicles.



Class "E" licenses expire on your birthday in approximately 6 years from the date of issuance. Driver's license fees vary depending on the office location and the age of the applicant.

  • $32.25 – the basic license fee until age 69
  • $18.75 – the license fee for applicants age 70 and older
  • A service fee of up to $8.00 may be accessed at certain field offices.

Cash, credit/debit cards and personal checks are accepted as payment.