Duplicate License / ID Card
A duplicate license or identification card may be issued when a license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated.
Proper identification must be presented unless the applicant can be identified through the Department’s Photo Retrieve program.
- if the license will expire within 90 days, the transaction must be processed as a renewal.
- If the license will expire within 180 days, the applicant has the option to renew.
- If an applicant eighteen years of age or over applies for a duplicate Louisiana driver's license or identification card and a photo image exists under the Photo Retrieve Program and the applicant is clearly identified, no other identification is required.
- If an applicant under the age of eighteen applies for a duplicate Louisiana driver's license and a photo image exists under the Photo Retrieve Program and the applicant is clearly identified, the signature of the custodial parent or legal guardian is required prior to issuance.
- If an applicant seventeen years of age applies for a duplicate Louisiana Identification card and a photo image exists under the Photo Retrieve Program and the applicant is clearly identified, the credential can be issued without the custodial parent/guardian's signature.
A reconstructed license establishes procedures for a Louisiana resident, who is temporarily out of the state/country and unable to return to Louisiana, to apply for a copy of their Louisiana driver’s license or identification card.
- Application for Reconstructed DL/ID for Temp OOS residents (DPSMV2013)
- Proof of Louisiana residency.
- Applicable fees in the form of money order, certified check or cashier’s check made payable to Office of Motor Vehicles.
- In addition to the items listed above the following documents must be provided, if applicable:
- Active Duty Military - a copy of the active duty orders, LES or a letter from the applicants commanding officer indicating the applicant is currently active duty military.
- Dependents of the active-duty military - a copy of active duty orders or a letter from a commanding officer listing the applicant as a dependent of an enlisted individual currently on active duty.
- Students attending school out of state - A current copy of the student ID card or school transcript indicating that the applicant is enrolled at the time of application
- Commercial driver’s license (duplicate only)
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate (Form MSCA-5876)
- CDL Supplemental Form (Form DPSMV2211), if applicable
- Applicant’s seventy years of age or old or older with a disability that precludes person from renewing in person
- A sworn affidavit by a physician certifying that the applicant possesses all cognitive functions necessary to be a prudent driver.
The following do not qualify for issuance of a reconstructed driver’s license or identification card:
- First-time issuance of a REAL ID
- A driver’s license currently under suspension or revocation
- A driver’s license or identification card that has been expired for twelve (12) months or more
- A driver’ license or identification card that was renewed by mail or electronic commerce at the last occurrence of its expiration
- Driver’s license or identification cards issued to the alien student or non-resident aliens