If you have received an insurance cancellation notice, you will need to provide one of the following proofs of compliance by fax, mail, or by clicking here:
- Proof of Insurance with a company authorized to write in Louisiana
- Cancel the plate online or surrender by mail
- Proof of the date the vehicle was disposed by submitting one of the following containing the VIN:
- Bill of Sale/Trade-in Documents/Lease Return
- Total Loss Statement from the Insurance Company
- Proof of Repossession from the Lien Holder
- Junked or Salvage Receipt
- Out-of-State Registration
If the vehicle is not insured or disposed of timely, then you will also owe a fee. Fees are based on the number of days without insurance.
FEES & PAYMENTS
Fees are based on the number of days without insurance.
- 2-30 days: $125
- 31-90 days: $275
- 91 days and above: $525
- If the debt is delinquent and transferred to the Office of Debt Recovery (ODR) the fee is $656.25
Insurance cancellation fees do have a cap of $850.00 plus a $25.00 administrative fee per cancellation when paid on the same day. If you are 65 years of age or older, the cap is decreased to $250.00. However, the cap does NOT apply to any insurance cancellations that have been transferred to ODR.
Submittal of Payment
Fees may be paid over the phone with a debit or credit card or by mail with a money order, certified funds, or cashier’s check.