Save Time - Book an Appointment Online

Upgrading to a Class E Intermediate License


The applicant must:

  • Be at least 16 years of age
  • Have held a learner’s permit for at least 180 days
  • Have completed a minimum of fifty (50) hours of behind-the-wheel driving instruction with a licensed parent,
    guardian, or adult at least twenty-one (21) or older. At least fifteen (15) of these hours must be nighttime driving.
    The parent or legal guardian must attest to this fact.
  • Pass the behind-the-wheel skills test
  • A custodial parent's signature shall be required when a license is upgraded to a higher class.

Note: In the case where joint custody has been awarded, only the domiciliary parent may sign. Exceptions to this rule are those minors who are married or who have been emancipated.


The applicant cannot:

  • Drive between 11:00 PM. and 5:00 AM unless accompanied by a licensed parent or guardian, by a licensed
    adult at least twenty-one years of age or by a licensed sibling at least eighteen years of age.
  • Unless accompanied by a licensed adult 21 or older, the teen may not transport more than one passenger under
    age 21 and who is not an immediate family member, between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.


The applicant must pass the following tests:

  • Vision – must have 20/40 vision in one or both eyes and must successfully pass a vision test.
  • Skills – the test may be administered by the driver education provider or the Office of Motor Vehicles. Applicants
    who take driver education courses after August 1, 2014 at a private driving school must return to the driving
    school or another third party tester for the skills test administration.

Applicants who take driver education courses after August 1, 2014 at secondary schools may have the skills test administered by the OMV. If the OMV administers the road skills test, you must furnish the vehicle. This vehicle should be one that the applicant is comfortable with. The vehicle must be currently licensed, inspected and insured. Proof of insurance and vehicle registration should be presented upon application for the test.